in today’s edition, an angst-battle royale!
The Smiths - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
She & Him - Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
sorry Zooes, but Moz is the clear winner here; you never bring a sundress to a slit-your-wrists fight
post inspired by this real-life exchange:
B: Aren’t you afraid that the fantasy’s gonna fade?
G: No, of course not!
B: It seems like the fantasy always fades once you get what you want.
G: But I never get what I want.
And on this Saturday evening, I find myself deposited safely back home, watching this music video and trying my very best to relate to the angst-ridden plight of the early-to-mid-’90s North American female:
Lisa Loeb - Stay (I Missed You)
And my efforts are failing miserably, as our fountainheads of angst seem dissimilar (I actually have no idea what she’s even going on about), but I do make the following observations:
- I like that she has a cat
- if asked, I would describe her black dress as “fitted and Shakespearean”
- I feel gratified to rediscover her horn-rimmed glasses, because just a mere hour ago an associate and I were asking each other “What sort of glasses did one wear in the ’90s?”
- her living (emoting?) space reminds me of Caroline in the City
- I really have no idea what she’s going on about
And after all that, I’m just as malaise-ed as when I began, and I turn to the following, infinitely superior production instead:
4 Non Blondes - What’s Up
And as pleasant as all that was, the crux of the matter is that I’m gonna need Linda Perry’s batshit crazy ass to just show up at my door within the next 15 minutes if I’m gonna turn this thing around.